Data Visualizations for FNS Research and Analysis Activities: Child Nutrition Programs Data
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) operates several child nutrition programs that provide nutritious breakfasts, lunches, and snacks to children during both the school year and summer months. To best serve these children, monitor program operations and financials, and process reimbursements, FNS collects a wide array of data from state agencies and school food authorities.
This 5-month project will build a series of dashboards for FNS and state agencies to analyze trends and patterns in child nutrition program data. The dashboards will provide a user-friendly and accessible platform for FNS and state agencies to explore data on child nutrition programs at the national, state, and school food authority levels. Insight will develop a series of static wireframes and interactive prototypes to share with stakeholders throughout the project to seek rapid feedback and revise the dashboard design. Specifically, Insight will conduct the following activities:
- Develop up to five dashboard design frameworks.
- Prepare child nutrition program data for populating visualizations in dashboards.
- Create interactive prototypes of selected design frameworks for FNS and state agencies.
- Conduct demonstrations of the dashboards for key stakeholders.
- Write memorandum for implementing the dashboards for all states.
Series of Section 508-compliant dashboards for desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones; memorandum on implementing dashboards for all states