The Eugene Washington Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Engagement Award program seeks to help patients and other stakeholder communities become more involved in all aspects of the research process, from topic selection to dissemination of findings. These Engagement Awards enhance PCORI’s research portfolio by building a community of patients and stakeholders that can partner with researchers now and in the future. With nearly 500 awards focused on a variety of stakeholders, health topics, engagement strategies, and regions, the Engagement Award program relies on timely analysis of the program portfolio to identify portfolio gaps and topics for future funding opportunities.
For this project, Insight reviewed, extracted, and analyzed data from awardees’ interim and final progress reports, which indicate accomplishments, challenges, and successes during the award period. The synthesis of findings highlighted the following:
- Successes and accomplishments achieved during and after project periods related to engagement of patients and other stakeholders
- Challenges to patient and stakeholder engagement and barriers to effective engagement
- Measures of activities that supported effective engagement
- How awardee successes and accomplishments can support long-term patient and stakeholder engagement and sustained patient-centered outcomes research/comparative effectiveness research communities
- Recommendations for PCORI
Final report; two issue briefs