The purpose of this project was to assess the effectiveness of the Comprehensive Geriatric Education Program (CGEP) as an approach to achieving national geriatric education objectives. Insight provided descriptive information on grantee programs and activities to illustrate how CGEP best supported geriatric training and education for nurses and nurses’ aides. This included information on faculty activities, the extent to which activities impact students and curricula of those professional schools that employ the activities, and effects on the communities served.
The project had 4 main objectives:
- Provide descriptive information on grantees to identify how grantees provide training and education on geriatric care for the elderly.
- Evaluate the success of CGEP grantees in achieving the program’s goals and determine factors that influenced the degree of success.
- Assess the broader impact of CGEP on geriatric education in the community and ascertain implications for future Federal efforts.
- Make recommendations for improving the program.
As a subcontractor to The Lewin Group, Insight’s work for this project included the following:
- Document the history and evolution of CGEP.
- Describe and compare the 54 CGEP grantees. This included developing an individual profile of each CGEP grantee; obtaining, extracting, and compiling key information from grantee applications, progress reports, and other documents; and designing a comprehensive databank to house the information.
- Conduct case studies to analyze the implementation of the program in depth, including lessons learned and best practices.
The evaluation provided the Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) Bureau of Health Professions (BHPr) with an understanding of how CGEP best contributes to increasing the number of nurses and nurse aides with geriatric training, with the goal of ensuring a qualified workforce that is equipped to meet the needs of the future aging population.
Program Evaluation; Literature Reviews and Environmental Scans; Qualitative Research; Secondary Data Analysis and Simulations; Site Visits; Policy Analysis and Assessment; Database Development
Insight developed an Agency Access database that included key findings and data extracted from CGEP grant applications.