The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services launched its From Coverage to Care Initiative (C2C) in 2014 to help the newly insured understand what it means to have health insurance, how to find a provider, and when and where to seek health services. The initiative also aimed to educate consumers on the importance of prevention and partnering with a provider. Beyond promoting consumers’ understanding of insurance and connection to care, C2C engaged with stakeholders—including providers, payers, navigators, coalitions, and community and social service agencies—that play critical roles in supporting consumers. Insight partnered with the RAND Corporation to evaluate the C2C Initiative.
Insight conducted in-depth interviews with stakeholders from community-based organizations and healthcare consumers to help guide development of an evaluation of the C2C Initiative. Interviews addressed the following topics:
- How organizations learned about C2C
- How organizations used C2C materials
- The spread and uptake of C2C within the communities by these and other organizations that serve newly insured or disadvantaged populations
- What impact, if any, organizations saw for consumers
- Suggestions organizations had for how to strengthen the dissemination, spread, uptake, and effective implementation of C2C
- What consumers thought of C2C materials, how they used the materials
Findings from the stakeholder interviews helped guide the development of a comprehensive evaluation plan for assessing the effectiveness and impact of C2C.
Briefing results, May 2016