The purpose of this study is to evaluate a series of demonstrations underway in the United States that aim to streamline the certification process for participation in the Food and Nutrition Service’s (FNS) school nutrition programs. As a subcontractor to Mathematica Policy Research, Insight is designing, implementing, and reporting on an evaluation of demonstrations to provide direct certification for children who receive Medicaid benefits to receive free National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs meals (NSLP and SBP).
The evaluation consists of 3 components:
- Evaluate the potential of the demonstrations to improve access to school meals for low-income children.
- Assess the impact of the demonstration on NSLP and SBP program cost and participation.
- Assess the cost of a socioeconomic certification alternative and compare this alternative to the other certification processes.
For this study, Insight will:
- Develop the sampling plan.
- Assist in the development and update of the study plan.
- Develop and pre-test the data collection instrument.
- Prepare the OMB package.
- Conduct the data collection for the study including the conduct of focus groups across States.
- Conduct the qualitative data analysis.
- Assist in the development of the final report and briefing.
Program Evaluation; Secondary Data Analysis; Performance Measurement and Monitoring; Policy Analysis and Assessment; Report Development and Presentation; Database Development
The final report will be submitted in September 2016.