This project reviewed the progress made in the implementation of recommendations of prior discipline-specific reports developed for the Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) Office of Women’s Health (OWH). The study reviewed the progress made in the integration of women’s health content in respective curricula and identified strategies for interprofessional education.
The prior discipline-specific reports were developed between 1996 and 2005. During that time, OWH collaborated with several U.S. Department of Health and Human Services agencies and professional associations to examine the incorporation of women’s health issues in various healthcare training programs and make recommendations to improve the integration of women’s health into health professions curricula. The disciplines included in the efforts were medicine, baccalaureate nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, and public health. Each of these fields interacts with women in different ways; in each field, practitioners who understand how gender affects health, illness, and interventions are better able to provide high-quality care.
For this study, Insight—
- Examined the recommendations in the individual reports
- Identified similar priorities that remained relevant and timely as a means to integrate women’s health-related issues into curricula
- Identified ways to promote interprofessional collaboration for future activities
- Reviewed new models of health service delivery across health professions training
- Conducted interviews with project directors from the various professions to gain additional perspective on changes in the curricula related to women’s health over time
- Convened three meetings with a Technical Expert Panel of representatives of the pharmacy, medicine, baccalaureate nursing, dental, public health schools, and other health professions and associations that may have been involved in the previous studies; these meetings facilitated critical interprofessional discussions on progress to date and future areas of focus and collaboration
Final report, Women’s Health Curricula: Final Report on Expert Panel Recommendations for Interprofessional Collaboration Across the Health Professions, available at http://www.hrsa.gov/about/organization/bureaus/owh/report111413.pdf