The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute’s (PCORI) reauthorization included a new mandate to consider the full range of outcomes data. This mandate is an effort to reflect the potential burdens and economic impacts associated with healthcare utilization (out-of-pocket or nonmedical costs) in PCORI-funded research. PCORI sought comments during a public comment period about how to meaningfully support the inclusion of the full range of outcomes, seeking direct input from the public on their proposed principles. The Insight team was asked to support the collection, analysis, and disposition of all public comments related to the provision.
For this work, Insight team members developed a coding taxonomy and accompanying codebook to streamline the review and analysis of the public comments. The team ran queries to identify emerging themes that informed recommendations for reconciliation of public comments into PCORI’s final principles statement. Last, the team prepared a detailed disposition table with a concise comment summary, theme, related principle, response, and implications for guidance.
- Final report (PCORI’s Public Comment Period on the Full Range of Outcomes: Summary and Potential Considerations)
- Coding taxonomy and codebook prepared for lay public and formatted for public posting
- Comment dataset constructed using NVivo
- Disposition table with recommendations and draft language for PCORI’s consideration
- Final reconciliation statements and presentation prepared for PCORI Board of Governors