This project aimed to reduce and eliminate racial and ethnic health disparities. Prior to this project, there were many programmatic efforts, initiatives, and accomplishments within the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) aimed at eliminating health disparities but no comprehensive inventory to describe the efforts.
The goal of this project was to develop an up-to-date, comprehensive summary of the initiatives focused on health disparities. This included the title of the initiative; the HRSA bureau or office; the target population; the accomplishments; the HRSA goal the initiative met; the National Action Plan goal the initiative addressed; barriers to implementation; and the potential role where the Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities (OMHHD) could help. Insight developed a summary description of the various databases throughout HRSA to conduct analyses to assist in the elimination of racial and ethnic health disparities.
This project had six primary components:
- Develop and populate an Access database with program initiatives to date.
- Review and synthesize all current information including program information, grantee applications and progress reports, and online information from each agency.
- Conduct a survey of division and office directors from each of HRSA’s six bureaus and offices.
- Conduct in-person, in-depth interviews with leaders from each of HRSA’s six bureaus.
- Develop a detailed written summary of all HRSA activities and accomplishments.
- OMHHD uses the final database in reporting HRSA activities and monitoring improvements in the reduction of health disparities over time.
Comprehensive database of health disparities activities and available databases for researching health disparities