The goal of this project is to collect and compile data on participant and program characteristics to support the management, evaluation, and improvement of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). WIC provides supplemental nutritious foods, nutrition education, and breastfeeding promotion and support, plus referrals to other services for women who have low incomes, are nutritionally at risk and pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum; infants up to age 1; and children up to age 5.
WIC Participant and Program Characteristics (PC) 2022 continues the compilation of WIC PC data that began in 1984 and became biennial starting in 1988, making these the latest such reports to help the Food and Nutrition Service address the need for program information on WIC. These reports are based on a complete census of all individuals certified to participate in WIC during April of the reference year.
The reports address the topics of demographic, income, and nutritional risk characteristics of WIC participants; anthropometric and hematological data; national estimates of breastfeeding initiation and duration for infants; and food package data. WIC PC data and analyses help inform budget estimation, research needs, and reporting requirements; help drive policy and procedural changes over time; and assist researchers and policymakers addressing the needs of women, infants, and children receiving WIC. Specifically, Insight will—
- Collect, evaluate, clean, and compile data generated from state WIC management information systems.
- Create a nationally descriptive datafile on a census of WIC participants from the 89 WIC state agencies, which represent the 50 states, the District of Columbia, 5 territories, and 33 Indian Tribal
- Tabulate, clean, and analyze data and produce summary reports.
Following these tasks, we will produce a final WIC PC 2022 report summarizing participant characteristics and a food package specific report. The food package report will summarize the contents of food packages prescribed to participants and food package costs.
- WIC Participant and Program Characteristics 2022 (anticipated fall 2023)
- WIC Participant and Program Characteristics 2022: Food Packages and Costs (anticipated winter 2023)